Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes!

For dinner tonight I made another of my Mum's recipes. Scalloped potatoes are something I grew up eating a lot of. Irish family loving potatoes? Isn't that a novelty? Ha! With the potatoes I made some curried lentil loaf that I blogged about before, and some sugar snap peas. We ate it super duper quickly due to time constraints, so it's a good thing the kids liked it all! ;)

I just finished making these oatmeal cookies with raisins instead of chocolate chips so that Tiernan could bring a sweet treat to his Oz rehearsal tomorrow. But also so I could have a couple to curb my sweet craving. ;)



***I don't think this recipe has EVER been measured out. It also depends on how much you want to make. When I was taught by my Mum how to make it, I was taught to eyeball it. So, no measurements in this recipe... ***

Scalloped Potatoes

red potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
onion, finely diced
margarine
flour
dried parsley
paprika
milk

Grease a round casserole dish (or whatever size dish you want) with margarine. Preheat the oven to 350.

Layer some sliced potatoes on the bottom of the dish until it's completely covered, overlapping them a bit. Sprinkle some chopped onion over the potatoes. Next, drop three small dabs of butter on the potatoes in different spots. Sprinkle a little bit of flour over the top.

Continue making the layers until your dish is filled, finishing with potatoes (no onion, butter or flour). Sprinkle the paprika and parsley over the top.

Now, fill the dish about 1/3 of the way with milk.

Cover and cook for about 45 minutes. Remove the lid, and cook for another 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through and the top is crisping up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment