Thursday, November 10, 2011

Three is better than none, right?

I haven't had many chances to get this entry done now that my computer cord has seized, but I am completely monopolizing my husband's computer while he's out. Hopefully I can get this done and caught up so it's not so overwhelming.

Let's get right to it. Here are a couple of my favourites from the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately, I didn't take photos of much so I'll be sure to make everything again so I can share.



For date night on Saturday I decided I needed a warm spinach and artichoke dip. Needed! Didn't take much to throw it together and it was divine served with some pumpernickel bread. I could totally eat some of that again now.

Spinach and Artichoke Dip

4 cups baby spinach
1/2 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup parmesan cheese + 1 cup
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 350.

Cook the spinach leaves in a wok until wilted, being careful they don't stick.

Warm the cream cheese up in the microwave for about a minute until it's softened.

Mix all of the ingredients (aside from the extra cup of parmesan cheese) together in a shallow casserole dish, mixing well. Top with the remaining parmesan and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




On one of our crazy dance days I made a slow cooker lentil soup with some cheese buns. It doesn't look like much, but it was quite tasty and filling so worth recording.

Lentil Soup

1 lb dried lentils, rinsed and picked over
1 qt of vegetable broth
3 cloves garlic, minced
a few handfuls of baby carrots, sliced
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks celery, sliced
3 cups water
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Throw it all in a slow cooker and let it cook on low all day long.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*




I made this creamy slow cooked rigatoni today because it was the dreaded Flyer Day. This allowed everyone to have a quick bite to eat before leaving the house to deliver flyers, and the intention was to have the salad and bread when they got back from flyers. The pasta turned out really well for something so simple, I must say. Much better than the photo looks. ;)

Creamy Slow Cooked Rigatoni

4 cups rigatoni, cooked for about 7 minutes until just tender
28 oz crushed tomatoes
10 oz can cream of mushroom soup
2 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups grated cheddar cheese

Mix together the crushed tomatoes, mushroom soup, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese into the slow cooker and stir well to combine. Throw in the already cooked and drained pasta and mix together.

Cook for about 4-5 hours on low.


No comments:

Post a Comment