Thursday, September 1, 2011

Cocoa-Coconut Chili in celebration of September.

Happy September! It feels like a fresh new change when that calendar rolls over from August to September. I love it.

To celebrate the new month I decided to make a comforting chili. Sure, it was humid as could be out there, but it was still quite fitting. Instead of making my usual slow cooker chili, I found one in my Eat Drink Be Vegan cookbook. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it was delicious! I did change it up a teeny bit, so this is my version.



Cocoa-Coconut Chili

1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
1 large onion, diced
4 stalks celery, sliced
1 bell pepper, chopped (I used green)
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp salt (I only use sea salt)
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
3 tbsp Dutch-processed cocoa powder
28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can coconut milk
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 1/2 tsp agave nectar
1-2 tsp hot sauce (I used sriracha)

In a large pot heat the oil and add the onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, salt, black pepper, chili, cinnamon and allspice. Once the veggies are well coated, cover the pot and cook for 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally. Be careful the onion and garlic doesn't brown. If it starts to, turn the heat down.

Once the onions have softened, add the cocoa powder and cook another 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, coconut milk, and coconut. Bring to a boil, simmer, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes. Add the corn, hot sauce and agave nectar, and continue heating for 5 minutes.

We de-veganized it and topped ours with swiss cheese. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment