Thursday, October 20, 2011

We are having so many slow cooker days lately.

What a week!

Between work for me, work for Kyle, dance for Tiernan and Rhianna, soccer for Avery, flyers for all three kids, paper delivery for Ave, a sickness that grabbed hold of myself and Kyle (headachey, drained, sick tummy), a sick rat, a cat with seizures, a mountain of laundry and a son with a broken heart.. I'm knackered. Completely and utterly exhausted. My meals this week have been less than inspiring. Monday? Fried egg sandwiches with fruit. Tuesday? Veggie dogs, veggies & dip and fruit. Wednesday? Veggie wraps (herd and garlic cream cheese, broccoli slaw, shredded carrots, fried mushrooms, spinach - rolled up) and a two cheese salad with balsamic vinegar dressing. Definitely nothing bloggable.


Today I was able to get back to my normal menu and threw together a simple slow cooker dish from The Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker. I made the butternut squash Thai green curry with some basmati rice, and I warmed up some Naan to go with it (I know, doesn't really go with the Thai food, but it worked!). I wasn't in love with the dish, but it was gobbled up by all three of my boys. Kyle's favourite thing in the world is curry, so he's pumped that there's leftovers for lunches. I've made better curries, and I think I might try tweaking this one a bit. For me it just seeemed like it was missing something. I think it was more veggies... I like many veggies in my curries.



The boys headed out tonight to draft some Magic the Gathering at our local gaming store so I braided Rhianna's freshly showered hair into a bunch of little braids - something she's wanted to do for a week or two now, but we never got around to. She's pretty excited to see how it looks tomorrow when she takes them out. I cherish our little mother-daughter moments. :)



Slow Cooker Butternut Squash in Green Curry Sauce

1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp chopped yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 serrano chile, stemmed, seeded and deveined (couldn't find one here so I used jalapeno)
3/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 tsp sugar
14 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
salt, to taste

Place the squash in the slow cooker with the water and cook about 3 hours on low until tender.

In a blender at remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Add to the slow cooker and cook on low for another 20-30 minutes.

Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment