Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A cheesy beer risotto? Oh yes, indeed!

I made a very interesting risotto from my Moosewood: Simple Suppers cookbook! It's called a rarebit risotto... not a typical risotto, but the beer and cheddar cheese was a really yummy combination. I also dry-fried some tofu and marinated it in a sweet and sour marinade from the same cookbook. They tasted great, but I definitely didn't see it as "sweet and sour". Not my perception of it at any rate. I also baked some savory cheese biscuits that I mentioned before (which I love) and a baby spinach and apple salad with a sweet red wine vinegar dressing from La Dolce Vegan. Not my favourite dressing, but Kyle and Rhianna loved it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Rarebit Risotto

1 quart vegetable broth
1 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1 1/2 cups beer (I used a Creemore Springs lager)
3 cups chopped broccoli
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
4 cups loosely packed grated cheddar cheese
heavy sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper

In a saucepan, bring the broth to a boil and then simmer.

In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the oil over med heat. Add the rice and stir to coat in oil. Add the beer, and stir until the beer is absorbed. Once the beer has absorbed start adding the broth a cup at a time, waiting until the liquid is absorbed before adding more.

While the risotto is cooking, steam the broccoli until it is still bright green, but tender. (Just a warning.. if you reheat it like I did, the broccoli will lose some of that bright green colour.) Set aside.

When the last of the broth is absorbed, the rice should be al dente and the risotto moist. Add the mustard and cheese, and stir until combined. Stir in the broccoli and black pepper and serve hot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Sweet and Sour Marinade for Tofu (but not to s&s-y!)

1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp dark sesame oil
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp fresh ginger root, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup

Mix it all together!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Sweet Red Wine Vinaigrette

3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp paprika
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 cup flax oil
1/4 cup olive oil

Mix it all together, and keep it in the fridge with a lid until ready to use.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And just for the cuteness factor....



My boy and his baby. ♥



My girl and her baby. ♥

Have I ever mentioned that I have the best kids in the world? I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment