Thursday, June 9, 2011

I turned the oven on!

Who doesn't love a veggie filled, cheese topped, Mexican bean pie? I know, right? I definitely do! I actually turned my oven on today despite the high humidity (unlike yesterday!). I'm not sure I will ever be used to the humidity of Southern Ontario.. it's pretty intense. I could not be more thankful for my air conditioning. Last night we had some crazy thunder storms, including some funnel clouds nearby. It went from bright and sunny to black and gloomy in a nanosecond. The winds were really high, and there are trees are down all over the city. It makes me worry about all those little creatures who have made these trees their home. I can't think about it because it rips my heart out.

I got tonight's recipe from my lovely friend Mary Jo a long while ago. It's delicious!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Black Bean Enchilada Pie

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 medium zucchini, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup frozen corn
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup salsa + extra for the bottom
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
4 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1 package corn tortillas

Preheat oven to 350.

Saute the onions, peppers, zucchini and garlic in olive oil until soft and fully cooked. Once it's cooked, remove from heat and add the corn, black beans, 1 cup salsa, chili powder and cumin. Stir well to combine.

Spread some salsa in the bottom of an 8x11 inch baking dish. Cover the bottom with corn tortillas. Add half of the bean mixture and spread it over the tortillas. Top with 2 cups of cheddar cheese. Add another layer of tortillas, the other half of the bean mixture, and the last two cups of cheddar cheese.

Cook for 15-25 minutes until it heats through and the cheese melts.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! That looks so delicious.

    Am envious of your a/c - wasn't that storm something? Wow.

    ReplyDelete