Wednesday, June 1, 2011

French Onion Soup FTW!

Dinner last night was a complete write off. Southern Ontario was warm. Actually, warm is an understatement! It was hot, humid, sticky and gross. I'm not a fan of the heat and humidity and honestly never have been (unless I'm at the beach!). The humidity around here is painful, but I knew what I was getting into when we moved out here. I refused to turn on the oven or even make anything to eat, so we quickly got ready when the kids got home from school, and Kyle got home from work and headed out for a bite to eat. Everyone except for me chowed down on BK veggie burgers, and I opted for a Quiznos sub. Dinner done, and no guilt. ;)


Avery had his first soccer game (#13!) of the season in the 35C heat. Kyle's the assistant coach so that left me tending to the other two rather whiney children. Have I mentioned that none of us enjoy the heat? Tiernan is the worst out of everybody, but that doesn't surprise me in the least considering how fair he is. My little blondie. Rhianna handles it better than her siblings... she just doesn't like being in the company of bugs! It's always something with kids, isn't it? After a few moments, they got over the heat and bugs and had some fun kicking around Avery's soccer ball and making new friends. :)





Oh, don't let this adorable face fool you.. this was right in the midst of our moments. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today wasn't quite as warm, and the high winds helped cool the air down a bit. Tiernan had been asking me for a while if I could make some French Onion Soup (his favourite soup that I make), so today was the day. The best part is, it doesn't put a whole lot of heat off into the house. And it smells so amazingly yummy while the onions are being caramelized! I got the recipe a long time ago from Jamie Oliver (love him!). I was going to make mango smoothies to go with it, but we ran out of time - I don't think anyone missed them too much.



French Onion Soup

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
a handful of sage leaves
6 cloves garlic, minced
5 onions, sliced (different varieties... I used vidalia, yellow, sweet, white, and baby)
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 litres veggie broth (I added a bit more.. depends on the size of the onions)
2cm thick slices of good quality stale bread
aged white cheddar, grated
worcestershire sauce (vegetarian friendly)

Put the butter, oil, garlic and sage into a cast iron pan. Stir everything around and add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Place a lid on the pan, leaving it slightly ajar. Cook the onions slowly on low for at least 50 minutes, removing the lid for the last 20 minutes. The onions should be soft and golden.

Add the stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Toast the bread on max in the oven. Place soup in the ramekins, add the bread and cover with grated cheese. Broil until golden. Drizzle with worcestershire.

No comments:

Post a Comment