Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dance nights are my favourite!

My evenings spent at the dance studio are my absolute favourite. I laugh so hard while I'm there, and it keeps me laughing well into the night after I'm home. Kyle thinks I'm a teenage boy with the things I find funny, and that is a-ok by me. ;) They truly are the best nights spent with the best ladies! I have such love for these women! Good thing since I've been spending more and more time there ... and it promises to become more as time goes on.

One of my favourite parts was coming home to a clean kitchen (I am VERY messy when I cook!) and the vacuuming done! Oh yes, I really did win the lottery. :)

I spent my entire morning searching this small (!!) city for certain ingredients. I was met with a whole lot of blank expressions, and quite frankly, a lot of rudeness. Then I remembered Global Foods! It's a tiny little store north of the 401 that has the best little treasures out there. When you are looking for something ethnic and can't find it anywhere in Belleville, chances are they have it... or can get it! At any rate, I had the best time slowly walking up and down the aisles and browsing their goods. I found quite a few items that I was looking for, and even a few I hadn't planned on. One of those items was a chili garlic sauce which I came straight home and played around with in the kitchen making a marinade for my dry fried tofu. This marinade is very different from the teriyaki one I posted about the last time. This one was super bold and spicy and powerful! I was worried that it would be too spicy for my kids so I let them dip it in plum sauce, but Tiernan ate a second helping, Rhianna said it wasn't spicy and gobbled hers up, and Avery even ate his without much complaining (although he won't do plum sauce... not a sauce type kid). Don't be fooled, though... it is spicy! If you've eaten sriracha before, you get an idea of the heat in it. If you try it, be prepared for a bite!

With the tofu we had a peanut/coconut/ginger/miso stir fry over udon noodles. I originally got the stir fry combo from my friend Mary Jo, and our family loves it. It was a good contrast from the spicy tofu.



Spicy Tofu Marinade

2 tbsp honey
4 tbsp Braggs
2 tbsp rice vinegar

Mix it up until the honey dissolves, add tofu and chill until ready to reheat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Peanut Coconut Ginger Miso Stir Fry

2 medium zucchinis, chopped
15 cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 large carrots, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 orange bell pepper, sliced
3 cups baby spinach
1 chunk ginger, grated
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
2-3 tbsp Braggs
1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 can coconut milk
1 lb udon noodles
Sauce:
1/4 cup natural peanut butter
1 tsp ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp Braggs
1 small lemon, juiced
3 tbsp miso
water, to desired consistency

Heat sesame oil in a wok over medium high heat. Fry the mushrooms for 2 minutes, and then add the rest of the vegetables, except for the spinach. Fry for a minute, and then add the Braggs, balsamic vinegar and ginger. When the vegetables are slightly tender, add the coconut milk and simmer without a lid to reduce the liquid. Once the vegetables are cooked, add the spinach and cook until it's wilted.

While the vegetables are simmering, boil the water and cook the udon noodles for 3 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine all of the ingredients for the sauce, but not the water. Once all the ingredients are well combined, slowly add some water, thinning it out until desired consistency is reached.

Throw it all together and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment