Saturday, March 26, 2011

Maple in the County, I love thee... and other things.

It's been an interesting couple of days in my life. Friday started out really well! We were all up and out the door on time. I took Tibbs for his morning jaunt and then he joined me on my morning run to the grocery store to pick up a few vegetables for the calzones I'd planned on making. On our way back home I was flagged down by an elderly fellow with a terrible limp. His name was Gary and he was heading home with a cart from a different grocery store dressed in only a sweater over his clothes (on a rather cool morning below zero!) and asking if I would be kind enough to drive him home. I felt awful for him, and couldn't say no. He seemed harmless (and was!). I put his groceries in the back and opened the door for him. He graciously got in, rubbing his hands together for warmth. We introduced ourselves and he told me this ride home was worth a million dollars for him; he'd lost his wife 3 weeks ago, and was feeling completely lost without her. He talked about his traveling he did with her, and how she was his constant companion. He said that when she died he felt like he lost his own life. It was very sweet, and very sad. I'm glad I took the time to stop and do him a favour. It's amazing how someone can be in your life for a fleeting moment, and can make such a huge impact on it. Thank you, Gary.

Shortly after I got home, however, I got the worst migraine I've had in a really long time. I couldn't even get myself off the couch for the rest of the day. I was so very thirsty and drank more tall glasses of water than I can even remember. I slept for three hours and it did nothing. Needless to say, I didn't make the calzones, only pizza. So much easier! Eating didn't shake the migraine, so I ended up in bed and asleep by 8:30pm. Luckily, I woke up this morning migraine free. Not sure what all that commotion was about!

This morning we headed into Prince Edward County for Maple in the County. We went last year and loved it, so we made sure to find some time to head out there again this year. We all love the County, so any excuse to get out there is a great one. A lot of people head out there for the food - pancakes with maple syrup and maple syrup smoked meat, but not us! Nope. We figure we make good pancakes on our own (and don't eat the meat), and we can get the local syrup anytime from the market or from Campbell's Orchards. Instead, we go for the farms! I love animals - a lot. This love has been passed down to my children, especially the younger two. We went to two of the same farms today that we visited at last year's Maple in the County. My son Tiernan was positive that the sheep that took a liking to him today was one of the lambs he bonded with last year. Aww. It's so sweet to see the little lambs suckling from their mothers with their tiny tails wagging as fast as can be. I was seriously in heaven.







Last year at this farm we bought a slice of Maple Sugar Pie. It was so sweet, but also so delicious. My daughter really doesn't like pie, but this pie she loved! We decided to go ahead and treat ourselves to an entire ($15!) Maple Sugar Pie. We brought it home, put it on the far back of the counter, and went out to dinner. When we came home, said pie was eaten by a certain pie-loving dog. We had only gotten him earlier that month, so we didn't know he had a thing for pies. I was so furious. $15! GONE. Ahhh. Anyway, this year, we bought ourselves another $15 Maple Sugar Pie. And this time when we left to go to Avery's soccer game? We left it on the top of the fridge. If Tibbs had found a way to get it down from there, he deserved the dang pie. Alas, the pie was safe when we got home.




Another farm we have stopped at both years is the Alpaca Farm. How I would love to own my own herd of Alpacas! They are seriously the sweetest little creatures, ever! We recognized a bunch from last year, but I couldn't get any great pictures since they were huddled in their little barns away from the chilly wind.

We also stopped in at Campbell's Orchard at Tiernan's request. He loves visiting with Abby and Sophie (Golden Retrievers), the pot bellied pig (Wilbur), the many chickens and roosters, and the bunnies - though we didn't see bunnies today. They also love the shop that's full of yummy baked goods, many different food items from the local shops - like the smoked cheddar from Black River Cheese that we picked up, cookbooks, neat little treasures and lots of vegetables in the summer, and the best part - APPLES from the Orchard in the late summer and fall.


We also made a quick stop in to one of my husband's favourite breweries - Barley Days Brewery. Kyle was on a mission to pick up some Sugar Shack Ale & Working Man's Stout. While there, the brewer, Alex, poured both Kyle and I a special oak cask aged Sugar Shack Ale. Now, I am not a fan of beer. I mean... I'm really not a fan. Typically, I don't mind the initial taste of some beers, but can't get past the after taste. When Alex poured it for me, I didn't have the heart to say no.. so I picked up my little taster... and tasted. Oh my. I loved it! That did not taste like beer! That tasted sweet and wine-like. Shocking! So.. we also picked up a couple of bottle of that as well. :)

Today was a really good day. Nothing like some good, crisp, fresh country air to tire everyone out so I could get them to bed early. There is method behind my madness, I'm telling you!

Tomorrow promises to be another good day. Can't wait!

Happy weekend, everyone!


I just love how Abby the dog decided to join in on the picture as I was snapping it and saying "Smile!'. :D Cute puppy.





P.S. Is that not the best chicken, evvvverrrrrrrrrr??? Oh my... LOVE. LoveloveloveloveLOVEher.

No comments:

Post a Comment