Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Burger time!

Phew! So happy to be home with nothing to do. Sitting here, cuddling up with my kids and watching some SYTYCD is absolute bliss! Today was a tad bit harried to say the least.

I made dinner early today, and then just kept it in the fridge so Kyle could heat it up for himself and the kids. I made Black Bean and Walnut Burgers from the May/June 2006 edition of Vegetarian Times, a caesar salad and corn on the cob. This was my first time making these burgers and I loved them! I think I like these black bean burgers a little bit better, but these were similar and yummy. Just a teeny bit crumblier when cooked. When I got home everyone had eaten already and it was so strange to sit there eating by myself. My daughter is a sweetheart though, and kept me company by singing songs and playing the bongos for me. :)



Black Bean and Walnut Burgers

2 15-oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tsp cumin
3 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup chopped red onion
3 tbsp frozen corn
1/3 cup cornmeal

Puree 2 1/2 cups beans in a food processor with the spices until smooth. Add rice, walnuts, onion, corn and remaining beans, and pulse 2 or 3 times to mix. Mixture should be stiff, but not dry. Add a teeny bit of water if needed (2-3 tbsp). Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Divide the mixture into patties, dip in cornmeal, and chill for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.

The recipe suggests frying these, but we used our indoor grill so we didn't have to use oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment