Thursday, July 7, 2011

A goodbye, some pasta and a little bit of Mexican.

Sadly, we had to say goodbye (for now!) to my cousin Derek and his wife Marion yesterday. I really don't like goodbyes in the slightest. I'm going to miss having them around. They're so easy going, kind, sweet and with the best accents, ever! Now who's going to say the typical Northern Irish "Aye" for me? Or "uh-hah" in that oh-so-cute Scottish way? Sometimes this world is just too big.

We got together a couple more times before they had to leave. They were able to come out for another one of Avery's soccer games which meant I got to hear Derek coach from the sidelines. I'm going to miss that! We also took a drive out to Presqu'ile Provincial Park... in a fully loaded van! Me, Tiernan, Rhianna, Tibbs, Derek, Marion, Mum and Dad. Kyle was working and Avery was at his soccer camp, so we were all able to fit and my parents didn't have to pay for a park pass. ;)


The weather could have been better - it was the one overcast and cool day of this week (of course). It didn't stop us, though! The scenery is breathtaking with a blue sky, but it's still pretty darn beautiful with a grey sky. It also didn't stop me, Tiernan, Marion and my Mum from dipping our toes into Lake Ontario. I cannot go near the lake and not kick off my socks and/or shoes. There's just something about the water that makes me feel alive.


I made fajitas the other day for dinner, but didn't upload the photo or "recipe" (if you can call it that). It's nothing too exciting, but still a big hit. Sometimes simple is just what you need.



Veggie Fajitas

whole wheat tortilla wraps

2 tbsp olive oil
2 small onions, sliced
500g cremini mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 bell peppers of any colour, sliced into strips
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
pinch cayenne pepper
pinch white pepper

toppings:
salsa
sour cream
cheddar cheese, grated

In a wok, heat the oil and add the onions and mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are browning and the onions are soft and sweet. Add the garlic and bell peppers. Add the spices and stir to coat. Cook until the peppers are tender.

Place the tortilla wraps on a plate and heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. Fill the wraps with the vegetable mixture and top with salsa, sour cream and cheddar cheese.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tonight was supposed to be a completely different recipe than what I ended up making! I was famished, and the light meal I had planned just wasn't going to cut it. Instead I took a meal I had planned for this weekend and made it instead. Works for me. I made a pasta recipe that I got from my friend Cara years ago that I believe she got from a Kraft cookbook magazine. With it I made a caesar salad with this creamy garlic dressing and some cheesy garlic bread.



Creamy Fusili

pasta:
1 box fusili
1 jar pasta sauce
2 cups frozen veggies of your choice
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 cup mozzarella cheese

topping:
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 350.

Cook pasta according to package directions (to al dente).

Meanwhile, heat the pasta sauce, veggies, cream cheese and mozzarella cheese in a saucepan until the cheese is melted.

Drain the pasta and mix together with the sauce mixture. Place in a lasagna, sprayed with cooking spray.

Melt the butter and mix it together with the bread crumbs and cup of cheese. Sprinkle this over the top of the pasta.

Cook for 30-35 minutes until it starts to brown.



Cheesy Garlic Bread

5 tbsp softened butter
2 tsp olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp salt
heavy sprinkling freshly ground black pepper

1 Italian loaf or French baguette

mozzarella cheese, grated

In a small bowl, mix together the butter, olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.

Cut open the loaf of bread and spread the garlic butter evenly over it. Broil in the oven for about 5 minutes - watch it closely so it doesn't burn. When the bread is starting to brown, remove it from the oven and sprinkle it with mozza cheese. Broil again for about 3 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment