Friday, July 29, 2011

It's Friday, and I'm in love.

You know what I really love? I love when I add a couple of new easy recipes to my menu, try them out, and decide they're both keepers! Oh yes, indeed. Both recipes were adapted from my old Vegetarian Times magazines (can you tell I'm on a VT kick?). On Thursday I made a Southeast Asian Peanut Noodles and served it with a side of veggie spring rolls. The noodles were great, and everyone gobbled them up. The kids did drink a lot of water with them, though, since they have a bit of a kick. ;) Tonight I made some Provolone-White Bean-Basil-Mayo Paninis which I thought would be kind of an ehh dish. I know, I know, why make them then? I figured it was worth making once, and I needed something quick and easy and fun. It turns out that we loved them! Nice.



Southeast Asian Peanut Noodles

1 package pad thai rice noodles
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce (I used a vegetarian stir fry sauce)
3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
1/4 tsp chili sauce
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 big chunk ginger, minced
4 cups snow peas, trimmed and halved
1 block firm tofu, cubed and seasoned (I marinated mine in a General Tao sauce that I had kicking around in my fridge)
1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the noodles and use a fork to separate them. Remove the pot from the heat, cover and let stand for 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the peanut butter, teriyaki sauce, chili sauce and a splash or two of hot water.

In a wok, heat the sesame oil. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds. Add the peas and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the tofu and cook for 1 minute. Add the sauce and cook for 2 minutes. Add the noodles, stir until well coated and cook for 2-3 minutes.

Place in bowls and add the peanuts on top.



Provolone-White Bean-Basil-Mayo Paninis

1 loaf french bread, sliced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup fresh basil, chopped finely
1 can white kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
5 slices provolone cheese, cut into shreds
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion, finely chopped

Mix together the mayo and basil in a small bowl.

In a wok, heat the oil and add the onion. Cook until soft.

In a medium sized bowl mix together the beans, the provolone cheese and the red onion.

Spread some mayo on the slices of bread. Top with the bean and cheese mixture and put another slice of bread on top. Toast on an indoor grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment