Monday, May 16, 2011

Farewell, little buddy.

Today we brought Stonewall to a wildlife rehabilitation centre called Sandy Pines just outside of Deseronto. I spoke to the coordinator this afternoon, and she suggested that the best place for him would be with her at the centre. It's too cold for him outside right now, so I brought him into the kitchen for the day and he so sweetly snuggled up in the towels enjoying the warmth. The centre we took him to was amazing. When I pulled in I immediately got a great feeling from it. There were animals everywhere looking happy and healthy. The two girls who were working there seemed caring and capable. One of them walked out with a baby raccoon in her arms and was feeding it a bottle. I'd never seen a baby raccoon before! They were not at all afraid of Stonewall, and scooped him out to hold him. Eventually she placed him in a tuque and kept it near her body for extra heat. I felt safe leaving him there, and it made me less sad to leave. Tiernan was the most heartbroken, telling me he wished I would have taken Stony there during the day while he was at school because he hates goodbyes in person. He cried his heart out, but seemed to calm down when we explained to him that it was okay to be sad, but that we would have to say goodbye eventually anyway. This is his best chance at a normal, happy, healthy squirrel life.

I think I'm going to call the director and see if I can volunteer with them. I didn't want to leave today, at all! I've been ooohing and ahhhing over the website, and cried my eyes out about all the good they do. I really want to be a part of this beautiful, nonprofit place.

Dinner plans changed for tonight. It was going to be West African Peanut Soup and Harvest Herb Bread (which I would have loved), but because of our trip out to Sandy Pines, my very sick eldest son (who slept the entire day away), Tiernan's Tap class and a rebate cheque that I really wasn't expecting, we opted for take out. We let the kids have Burger King, and Kyle and I got Montana's. It was so very good, and the best part is... there are leftovers for my lunch tomorrow! I love that. Something to look forward to. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment