Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pasta Fail!

Guess who was dumb enough to put sunscreen on her daughter and not on herself? Yeah, that would be me. I joined Rhianna's class at Celebration of Dance and that sun was beaming down pretty good. I have proof on my chest, arms and face. I should have thought about sunscreening myself while I was putting it on my little girl. Oh well, you live, you learn. (Or not, since I do this pretty much every single year!)

For dinner I made a pasta dish I found on Eat Me, Delicious. It's called Pasta with Portobello Mushrooms in a Mustard Wine Sauce. It looked very promising, and I couldn't wait to try it, but in the end I was terribly disappointed. I hate when I build something up in my mind and then in the end it's nothing like I thought it would be. I loved the method in which it's made, but I'm thinking of making this style of pasta with a spinach and mascarpone sauce instead. I loved the toasted pine nuts and the mushrooms. I loved the garlic and onion and chilies. It was just the overpowering sauce that I didn't care for. I even made more pasta than the recipe called for, and used a little less mustard. I guess some are winners and some are not. And what works for one person, doesn't work for everyone.

I also used my creativity in the kitchen and came up with these savory muffins that turned out not half bad. I think next time I may add some chives, and perhaps even some cheese. Yes, I really do love me some cheese.



Onion and Garlic Muffins

4 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups sour milk (just add a tablespoon or two of vinegar and let it sit for a bit)
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400. Lightly oil 12 muffin tins.

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the oil and milk and stir to combine. Add to the muffin tins.

Bake for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment