Sunday, May 8, 2011

I love being a mummy!

What a beautiful morning! I'm currently sitting in bed with my blinds and window open, listening to the birds singing and my wind chime gently jingling. The sky is clear blue, the breeze is gentle and whispers promises of a wonderful day. Inside my house I hear some busy little bees whipping up a surprise Mother's Day breakfast for me which will be served to me in bed. I may not know what it is, but I sure know that something smells delicious! This is our Mother's Day tradition every year. I sleep in (or at least lay in) until they bring me my breakfast in bed. Each child picks out one item for me to eat.. something they know I love. I still remember the year that I ended up with pancakes (Avery), chips and dip (Rhianna) and some fruit slices (Tiernan). It was so sweet it brought tears to my eyes. I get the feeling that this year will not bring any chips and dip. ;)

My sister Carole came by yesterday with her friend Audrey. I hadn't seen Audrey since Tiernan & Grayson celebrated their first birthdays! That was in 2002. Time flies, but she hasn't changed one iota. She's still sweet, quiet, kind and has a fantastic laugh. We took a walk down to the "cheese park" (as my kids love to call it) and Carole and Rhianna were able to have some bonding time on the swings. It's not often that an Auntie can bond with a niece or nephew since there are often cousins around. And let's face it... Cousins > Aunties. It's just the way it goes. I'm very glad they were able to come over.

Food was a disaster yesterday. It was one of those days where it seemed like I couldn't do anything right in the kitchen. I made a dish that I got from a friend of mine and I don't know what I did wrong, but it was definitely not a hit for us. I may try making it again, but tweaking it to our tastes. I was glad that my sister and her friend didn't end up staying for dinner once I was sitting down eating. Tiernan was the only one who really liked the meal. At least the cucumber salad and buns were really good, right? It was also Date Night In. We watched 127 Hours (OMG!) and ate the Fudgey Brownie I made from The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes. I didn't expect the brownie to be so... gooey, so I ended up over cooking it a bit. The edges were too crispy, but the centre was delicious. It wasn't what I would expect from a brownie, but tasty all the same.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Fudgey Brownie

3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp margarine
1/3 cup plus 1/2 cup chocolate chips, divided
1/4 cup baking cocoa
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
1/3 cup water
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease an 8x8 inch baking pan.

In a small bowl sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.

Heat 1/3 cup chocolate chips, margarine and cocoa over low heat (it suggests double boiler, but I just take time with it instead). Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, mix ground flaxseed with water with a handheld mixer for about 2 minutes until it's a little gooey. Add the chocolate mixture, and mix until combined. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat again. Add the dry ingredients, and beat until thoroughly mixed. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips.

Pour into the baking dish. Cook for about 30-35 minutes. The crust should be flaky on the top. Don't overcook it like me!

Let it cool for 30 minutes on a cooling rack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now I hear my busy bees coming with my breakfast in bed! Perfect timing.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL MY MUMMY FRIENDS AND FAMILY.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day Shannon!! Enjoy all the appreciation that comes your way today! You deserve it. :)

    ReplyDelete