Friday, May 13, 2011

Flour tortillas... and more squirrel talk!

I know, more squirrel talk! I imagine there will be a lot of squirrel talk for the next week or two. I'm obsessed! Today there were three babies hanging out in my backyard. I worry about them because they obviously haven't been taught about the rules of being a squirrel. They lay around in the sun in the middle of the grass, not even blinking when I walk out to see them. I worry about neighbourhood cats and big birds and any other animals who may prey on the little guys. Kyle made a makeshift house for them that we sort of shoved as far under the hedge as we could. We put old towels in there, and hope they figure out it'll give them protection and shelter from the rainy week ahead. I've already seen changes in them, though, so I have my fingers crossed that their instincts will kick in and keep them safe. They're just starting to climb now, and it's so cute to watch them.



I love this one!



The littlest guy, who we've named Acorn, was sunbathing and napping right out in the open!



I made flour tortillas for the first time today and they were a huge hit! I didn't realize it was so simple, but this is definitely the way I'll do it from now on. I pretty much love making anything that requires me to knead dough. It's so therapeutic! At any rate, I made these so we could have the kids' wish for Fun Food Friday - tacos. I used the taco method I wrote about here.


Flour Tortillas

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup very hot water

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the shortening, and use a pastry cutter to mix it in until it's crumbly. Add the hot water, and combine well.

Put the dough on a lightly floured counter. Knead the dough for 3-5 minutes. Cover the bowl with a towel and let it rise for 15-20 minutes.

Divide the dough into 16 balls. Roll them in your hands until they are smooth. Roll them out with a rolling pin on a clean counter.

Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat. Do not add oil of any kind! Dry fry them for one minute on one side, flip it, one minute on the other side and then flip it again for a final minute on the first side.

1 comment:

  1. I love homemade tortillas, these ones look great :)

    ReplyDelete