Friday, April 8, 2011

Taco Overdose?


Last night at Kung Fu all of our kids got a new belt. Well, technically, only Tiernan got his yellow belt since Sensei didn't yet have the yellow tipped belts that Rhianna and Avery were supposed to get. They should be in next week, and then I'll make sure to take a picture of the other two proudly showing off their yellow tips. No more Kung Fu until September, so the kids will have to practice a lot over the Spring/Summer to keep up with what they've learned so far. Tiernan is super pumped to have his full on yellow belt now... as you can see in this picture... :)




Friday has been really good to me this week. We had a very easy dinner for Fun Food Friday - tacos in a bag! We recently discovered this treasure, and it quickly became an absolute favourite in our house. There really isn't a recipe per se, but I'll write out the steps I use for mine.



First I whip up a quick batch of veggie taco filling. I heat a tbsp of olive oil in a wok/skillet and add one onion (chopped) and whatever bell pepper I have in the house (today I had a yellow bell pepper, chopped). I cook it until it's soft and then add a can of lentils (drained and rinsed), a can of kidney beans (drained and rinsed), and a can of black beans (drained and rinsed). I stir it up until the legumes are heated through and then I add two packages of Old El Paso Taco seasoning and a splash of water (enough to make a bit of a sauce). Heat until thickened and warmed through and then it's ready!



Take a small bag of tortilla chips (Kyle and Avery use plain, but Tiernan, Rhianna and I like some flavouring to ours), cut the top of the bag off and crunch the chips up in the bottom of the bag. Add a few scoops of the taco filling, some lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, salsa (or Thousand Island!) and it's ready to be eaten.




Oh, yes... the perfect bite!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tiernan headed over to a friend's house after school today so he wasn't around for tacos in a bag.. he gets it for lunch tomorrow! Instead, he ate four helpings of their spaghetti dinner. Maybe I should have warned them that he's going through a growth spurt?? Eeep. While he was at his friend's place Avery suggested we play a game of Catan (Kyle won) while we waited for TBone. I hadn't played that game in soooooo long and I missed it so much (even if I sucked today). I feel whole again. ;)


Tonight was also Rhianna's Date Night with Kyle and I. We try to take some time with each of our kids on their own doing whatever they ask to do. Rhianna's choice was to watch Ramona and Beezus and eat her favourite snack - taco dip! The movie was really cute and it made me want to reread the books. Luckily, Rhianna has them so I just might do that! Maybe she and I can read them together. Yes, I think we will. The taco dip was delicious as usual. It's such an easy thing to make, too. Unfortunately, it's hard to stop eating it once you've made it, so I try not to make it more than once or twice a year. So yummy. Too yummy.




Taco Dip

1 brick light cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1 cup light sour cream
1 package Old El Paso Taco seasoning
lettuce, shredded
tomatoes, diced (I didn't use any tonight because Rhianna doesn't like tomatoes on their own)
cheddar cheese, shredded

Mix together the cream cheese, sour cream and taco seasoning with an electric mixer until smooth and no lumps of cream cheese are left. Chill for several hours. Top with lettuce, tomatoes and cheddar cheese. Serve with tortilla chips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cheers to this wonderful weekend, friends! Enjoy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment