Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I love the nights that require chop sticks.

After all the heavy food that we ate over the weekend, I was happy that my menu called for a simple stir fry with marinated tofu for tonight's dinner. I served it over a bed of long grain brown rice, so I made some extra sauce to go with it. I don't know about you, but I like sauce on my rice. If you like your rice drier OR if you aren't going to be making enough to feed 5 people and have some for leftover lunches (like I do), then cut back the measurements.

To give you an idea of how many vegetables I fry up, here is the list of veggies I used tonight (but I change it up every time):

1 onion, chopped
15 mushrooms, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 yellow pepper, sliced
1 head bok choy, sliced
1 head broccoli, cut up
2 carrots, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
a cup of sugar snap peas

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Stir Fry Sauce

4 1/2 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
3 tbsp Braggs (or soy sauce)
1 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
3 tbsp cane sugar
1/2 tsp red chilies
1 1/3 cup vegetable broth
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
2 tbsp corn starch

Mix all of the ingredients in a saucepan, and cook for 10 minutes until sauce has thickened. Add to the vegetables once they have been cooked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tofu Marinade

I sort of just threw the marinade together, but this is roughly what I added to it.

1 block extra firm tofu, cut into cubes, dry fried in a cast iron pan on each side
3 tbsp hoisin sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment