Wednesday, April 27, 2011

One of those days. Again.

My family is lucky that they got anything for dinner today. Ha! I had a wicked headache from the humidity (30C... after weeks of rain and cool weather!), I was tired, and a tad bit grumpy. I was half tempted to just lay on the couch under a blanket and tell Kyle there was no dinner today. Somehow I managed to make half of what I had planned on the menu, just leaving out the minestrone soup. It may not have been the most well rounded meal, but everyone gobbled it up. I consider that a success when trying a new recipe. And after a day like today, that's good enough for me.

Now onto the actual meal... I made a Vegetable Upside-Down Casserole from The Vegetarian Family Cookbook I got from my sister-in-law, Tannis, years ago. I'll definitely be making it again.




Vegetable Upside-Down Casserole

4 cups of chopped veggies (today I used broccoli, carrots, mushrooms, red pepper and green pepper)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup plain yogurt
3/4 cup milk
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (I probably used more than that - I covered it with cheese, maybe 1 cup)

Saute the veggies for a few minutes until tender; set aside.

Preheat oven to 375.

The recipe says to lightly oil a round 2 qt dish, or a 9x13 baking pan, but I forgot to oil it and it was fine. :)

Combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the yogurt, milk, and vegetable oil. Stir together until well mixed.

Add the veggies to the dish and sprinkle with cheese. Pour the batter over the cheese and veggies, and spread it evenly.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden and firm. Let stand for 10 minutes and then cut and serve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now I'm off to watch the Montreal-Boston hockey game... number 7! Tied up and into overtime.... Go Habs! Once we (hopefully) win the game, it's to bed with my kids. It's so loud in here! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment