Friday, April 29, 2011

First attempt at decorating cupcakes!

Sooooo. I spent all day baking cupcakes, cooling cupcakes and icing cupcakes. I bake cupcakes all the time for the kids birthdays, but I've never tried making anything special. My boys are having a birthday party tomorrow at a laser tag place in Kingston. This is Avery's late 11th birthday (Dec), and Tiernan's early 10th birthday (May) . Each of them invited three friends, and Rhianna was also allowed to invite a friend along. I let each boy pick a cupcake design from the 'Hello, Cupcake' book, and I told them I'd give it a try. Avery picked some bowling pin cupcakes and Tiernan chose some werewolf cupcakes. Both were done completely differently, and I learned a lot from my day in the kitchen. They aren't perfect... they aren't even close to perfect... but the kids love them. And really, that's all that matters. :)

Without further ado... (don't laugh.. too much ;))




Ten Pin Bowling!




Easiest cupcake decorating, everrrr! Haha.




These were a lot of fun to make. Balancing the tower of cakes was a bit difficult, but I made it through.




Tiernan's werewolf cupcakes! I need to fix the teeth in the morning. My icing got too warm so it wouldn't pipe properly. And right now I'm too knackered to finish. They're cute anyway. :)




I know the photos are a bit dark, but it was nearing midnight when I took them. I'll get better pictures tomorrow.




Aoooooooooooooooooohh!



So there you have it. My first try at cupcake decorating. I really enjoyed it, I got very, very messy (OMG MESSY!), and I think I'll do it again. There are a few more kitchen/decorating tools I need before I give it another go, though.

Fun Food Friday was easy tonight. We ate poutine. It's easy and delicious, and I really didn't have time to make the pretzel bites (veggie dogs wrapped in pretzels) that I had on the menu. I also have a very sick husband. I have my fingers crossed that he's better by tomorrow. It could be a difficult day for him. At least he can rest when we get home from the party? Poor guy. Both my parents are sick, too. Seems there is something going around. Hopefully none of them caught pneumonia. My parents haven't been exposed to Tiernan at all, but that doesn't mean they couldn't get it elsewhere.

I should get some sleep since tomorrow is a big day. I can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. Love them! Which reminds me I need to blog about Legofest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE it! They're all adorable and probably tasty as heck! Wish we could have been there for the festivities, but happy late birthday to Avery and early birthday to Tiernan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Laura! Do so! I'm still waiting....

    Thanks, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete