Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Oh, lasagna, I love you so.

I made quite possibly my favourite dish in the world tonight. If not THE favourite, it definitely ranks up there in the top five. It's an incredibly comforting meal, it's cheesy, it's versatile, it's filling and it's flavourful. Yup, I'm talking about lasagna. Deliciously satisfying lasagna. It's also Mr Tomato Lover, Avery's favourite. When he came in the door from school today he walked into the kitchen drooling and saying, "lasagnnnnaaa??? Ohhhhh yesssss."

I don't know that there's really a "recipe" when it comes to making lasagna. Every time I make it, I do something different. I'll add different veggies to the sauce or use different cheeses. I like to vary it. This is what I did tonight...




Vegetable Lasagna

16 whole wheat lasagna noodles
1 batch of tomato based pasta sauce (but feel free to add more veggies!)
3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 cups baby spinach

Make the pasta sauce, and let it simmer for an hour.

Preheat oven to 350.

Cook the lasagna noodles as per directions on the box.

Once the noodles are cooked and drained, layer the bottom of a 9x13 pan (mine is actually bigger than that) with a small bit of sauce. Layer 5 noodles on top of that, making sure to cover the entire surface. Add some more sauce (to cover) and 1 cup of shredded mozzarella. Layer 5 more noodles over top of the cheese. Mix the 2 cups of ricotta in with about half of your sauce. Spread evenly over the noodles. Add the 2 cups of baby spinach. Layer another layer of lasagna noodles and the remaining sauce. Top with the leftover cheese.

Cover with foil and cook for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and cook another 15 minutes. If the top isn't browning, I often set it to broil for a few minutes.

Remove from oven and let it stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment