Saturday, April 30, 2011

Hot Mushroom Dip!


What a fantastic birthday party! Avery and Tiernan have the best friends in the world, and they sure helped make this day even more special for the boys. We went to Putt n' Blast for three games of laser tag and our birthday group kicked some serious butt. Even Rhianna and her friend got the hang of it pretty quickly and held their own through the games. All ten kids were all so good while we were there, not to mention during the hour long drive to and from Kingston. I had the pleasure of driving Tiernan and his three friends both directions and listening to their very boy-ish conversations were definitely a highlight for me. I just sat back and smiled. All of the kids raved about the party - most of them saying they now want their birthday parties there (sorry, parents!). The cupcakes I made for the party were a hit with both the kids and all the passer bys who commented on them. My boys smiled from start to finish and went to bed as happy little critters.




This picture makes me laugh. A lot! Avery's best friend's little sister (got that? She is also the friend Rhianna brought along to the party for company) picked a present out for Avery all on her own. Part of that gift was this Hello, Kitty stuffy. When Avery pulled it out of the gift bag I thought he was going to fall over from laughing! It was so funny. :) The best part was when her dad asked Avery who's going to keep the Hello, Kitty stuffy and he said himself! Ave said he'd keep it on his bed. I love that boy. Sure enough, it's on his bed now. Love, love, love it. So cute.

I am happy to report that Tiernan is almost 100% healed now. I think keeping him home for an extra couple of days to rest really helped. He will be seeing our wonderful family doctor on Monday for a follow up, just to be sure. I think I'll drag my husband along with me though.. because he really, really does not look/sound/feel good. Tomorrow should be a much more relaxing day with only a soccer wind up to attend for a couple of hours. Hopefully that will give him more time to heal, too. Luckily our kids are the best ever, and they totally let us sleep in for as long as we want. Oh yes, we are lucky!

Tonight I had a Date Night In with my husband who is sick as sick can be. Nothing stops us! ;) We had a laid back night watching 'Due Date' and eating Hot Mushroom Dip. This dip has been the hugest hit at every potluck, partini and poker night we've hosted. I always make it because it's just that good. I originally got it from me dear friend Amy who got it from her sister-in-law (I think) who found it online somewhere? At any rate, I've only altered it slightly because it was pretty delicious the way it was written.




Hot Mushroom Dip

2 tbsp margarine
1 cup finely chopped onion
4 cloves garlic
3 cups chopped mushrooms
8oz block cream cheese, cut into 8 pieces
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
heavy sprinkling of freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup mayo

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt margarine in a large skillet on medium heat. Add onion, mushrooms and garlic. Cook for about 10 minutes until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are golden. Remove from the heat.

Add the cream cheese, dill weed, seasoning salt and black pepper. Stir until the cream cheese melts.

Add the grated monterey jack cheese and moyo and mix well.

Bake for 30 minutes until the top is browned and it's heated through.


I serve it with some Greek pitas that I toast in the oven brushed with an olive oil/garlic powder mixture. Deeeeeelicious!

I really need to head to bed so I can join my husband. It's after midnight which means it's officially May! Blessed Beltane! Some milk is out for the fae folk... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment