Thursday, April 7, 2011

Dinner and a confession.

Hi. My name is Shannon and I have an addiction... to cookbooks. Yes, cookbooks. I don't really want help for this addiction. I enjoy it thoroughly, and thus far it hasn't interfered (in a bad way) with my life. Anyone who really knows me knows how much I love variety, and how much I hate being around/eating/doing the same thing repeatedly. The cookbooks really help that! Over the years I've picked them up at varying book stores and some non-book stores, received them for birthday and Christmas gifts and thrifted them. I don't have any cookbooks that I don't love. Inside each and every one of them are treasures. Recipes that are tried and true, recipes that have yet to be discovered and recipes that were a really good starting point for inspiration. I was talking with my friend Christina about these recipe books of mine and told her I'd take a picture and blog about it. Today I decided to take a picture... but there was no way to fit them all in one shot. Instead, I got a whole entry full of cookbook pictures. ;) Just think about how many MORE pictures there would be if I still had all my meat-centric cookbooks. Luckily, I sold them all in a garage sale.





My Moosewood collection!





Other Random Veggie Cookbooks:





My well used Slow Cooker collection:





Other Random Vegetarian Cookbooks:





Specific Ethnic Foods:

Step by Step Indian (couldn't find a link for this one on Chapters)




Grilling: (I miss grilling outdoors.. no BBQ for us yet!)





Other books:

Pinawa Auxillary Cookbook (no link)
More Health Smart Cooking (Kyle's book from before we got together) (no link)
Canada's Best Bread Machine Cookbook (oh, how we miss our bread machine)





Desserts!:





These are the kids' cookbooks:

Silly Snacks (no link)





And you can't forget the drinks! Adult drinks included. :) :

The Top 100 Juices (this is also Tiernan's book since the juicer is his!)



Phew! That was exhausting. Haha! I also realize I don't have pictures of three more cookbooks, but I will link them anyway.


So there you have it. That is my entire cookbook (addiction) collection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today is our very last Hella Busy Thursday for a very long time. I can't promise that this will be the last time ever, because... that's not very likely at all. From now until September, there will be no swimming (on Thrusdays) or Kung Fu and that makes this day soooo much easier. Dinner at home? Yes, please!

I made some Mediterranean pitas for dinner on the go tonight. It's a pretty easy recipe, and pretty yummy, too.

Mediterranean Pitas

1 cup carrots (I bought them already in matchsticks!)
1 cup cucumbers, sliced into matchsticks
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Add all the ingredients to a small bowl, stir to combine and add to some mini pitas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Let the madness begin....




5 comments:

  1. My Dad downsized his 300 cookbook collection......he gave some to my brother and I.......I am amidst purging books right now...and getting rid of the cookbooks that I don't use......but my collection is usually at around 50-60...and growing.....

    on a side note..... years ago, a vegan friend of mine used to make a thai peanut salad...I seem to remember her getting it out of How it all Vegan (I might be wrong), but if I'm right....could you send it my way....you'd be helping me rid myself of a 10 year craving....... <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooops...that comment above is me...your friendly neighbourhood Kim McConnell...I suck at internetz some days

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been holding out on me! I would love to peruse the Star Wars cookbooks ~ Mac is a Star Wars fiend...have you seen the Mighty Beans collections in the ship!

    We need to do a recipe book for the dance school! Oops there I go again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...My...GOD!!! Remember how I said I wasn't sure if I was glad or not that I hadn't seen your collection while in Winnipeg?? I think I may just be very glad!! lol This way is muuuch easier ;)

    Your crazy!! And I love it!! lol Whenever we finally drag our butts out that way I'm gonna end up with carpal tunnel trying to write out your cook books to come home with me ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, I totally knew that was you before you even wrote your name. ;) There's a thai-like peanut salad in La Dolce Vegan! I bet that's it. I'll facebook you the recipe right away. Hopefully it's the right one. Glad to hear you like your cookbooks, too. ;) I'm not alone!!

    Laura, I will SO bring those Star Wars cookbooks for you next week. Are you around on Monday? Or should I bring them on Wednesday instead? My boys are Star Wars obsessed so we bought those books for them in Kingston when we came out to visit the area (before moving out here... when we were still in Winnipeg). I TOTALLY agree with you about the cookbook. You're brilliant!!!

    Ahahahaah, Christina! I TOLD YOU. You can always request I put the recipes on my menu so they end up on the blog. HAHA.

    ReplyDelete